Saturday, May 29, 2010

Welcome Guest Blogger: Mary Alice Pritchard




1. What do you write and why?

I write mostly paranormal romantic suspense. I love to read them and it is just natural to write what you love to read. I enjoy creating a different type of world from what I live in.

2. What do you read and why, especially if it's different from what you write?

Mostly Paranormal with some suspense thrown in. I just love those shape shifters!

3. Who do write for?

I write for The Wild Rose Press and The Dark Castle Lords

4. How long have you been writing?


I have written off and on since I could read. I’ve only been writing to get published for about six years now.

5. How do you world build?

I start with the characters and develop the world around them. I learn everything about them I can first and then start filling in around them. How they react in their world helps me create it.

6. How do you write: the process and atmosphere?

I like quiet when I’m first starting out. I usually write in my office but have been writing in my bedroom lately. Once I get going, I love to have my music going. I’m a classic rock sort of person. Usually I also have a cat on the back of my chair as well.

7. How do you build characters and their personalities and looks?

The characters just come to me. Once they are there, I just write things about them. Let them tell me about themselves. I sort of interview them. What do you like to do when you aren’t working? Who is your favorite band? Stupid stuff like that. It makes them come alive to me.

Then I give them looks. Sometimes I have a definite idea of what I want them to look like, sometimes I use a picture I get from a magazine or calendar. Naturally, all the men are the type I like. ;-)

8. Tell me about some of your heroes and heroines:

In my latest release, the hero is a tall bald hunk of a man who is quiet and deadly. He’s convinced he is unlovable. The heroine is convinced otherwise. She is a psychic who’s dreams predict the future. This is in See How They Die.

In Jaguar Nights, the hero is a very alpha weir cat. He has long dark hair and hasn’t got Control of his temper. The heroine is a psychic human who is able to help calm his beast.

They compliment each other but it is a long bumpy road.

9. Are you a pantser or plotter?

I’m a pantser. Then, I do a little plotting. I start out with an idea, a character, or a crime. Then I write what comes to me as it does. Once I have things going, I’ll do a sort of loose synopsis and sort of follow it. Usually I don’t have a clue what the ending will be though.


10. What's your WIP?

I actually have three going on at one time. The first one is called Mirror Mirror. It is about a Woman who sees dead people in mirrors. She helps the local police capture the killer but The lead detective on the case doesn’t believe her at first.

Another one is the third book in the series, Tales of the Cats which Jaguar Nights is the first Book and Leopard Dreams is the second book.

11. What's your latest release and tell me about it:

See How They Die is my latest release from The Dark Castle Lords. It is available at
Fictionwise.com

It is actually the first book I ever wrote for publication. It is about the psychic who dreams about murders that come true. She tries to avoid connecting with people so she won’t dream about their deaths but when the next dream is about some teenagers close to where she lives, she decides she can’t hide anymore, she has to help stop the killer before he strikes again.

See How They Die pulls the reader along a harrowing journey where nightmares come true and stopping a serial killer falls in the hands of a woman who hides from the truth and a man who no longer believes it exists. Together they learn to trust and depend on each other as a madman plans his next kill. Available now at Fiction Wise and The Dark Castle Lords

12. Anything from your personal life you'd like to tell us?

My personal life, hmmmm, I have seven cats and one dog. The cats are my muses and blog about me and what I’m doing most every weekend. You can read my blog at www.maryalicepritchard.com/blog

1 comment:

comter191 said...

Interesting to learn abit more about you :) always nice to know who people on the other end of the servicing stop screen are!