Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Guest Blogger F. Solomon:) Thanks for being here for the rest of the week!

I am all about community within the romance community and thought it would be a really cool thing to do this "trade" that Rebecca suggested on the editor's loop. Brainstorming, she gave me a series of questions that I might want to use for my post. Since I do a regular series of posts for my chapter blog called Bits and Pieces, I figured it would only fair if I put myself in the hot seat and answered the questions interview style.



1. What do you write and why?


When I am sitting somewhere I am either looking for a pen and a piece of paper or I am on my MacBook or typing on my iPod Touch. It is instinct for me like birds build nests and spiders spin webs.




2. What do you read and why, especially if it's different from what you write?


I love erotica. I started with Anais Nin which I picked up from a friend who used to paint flowers like Georgia O'Keeffe and recommended Nin and (Henry) Miller to me. Everything I love in erotica is Ninesque, although not all the erotica I read is that quality. But it all inspires me...honestly I will read any genre though as long as there is real romance contained within.


3. Who do write for?


Myself.


4. How long have you been writing?


Almost my entire life, I started when I was 7 and like the spider metaphor, I just folded paper together like the Dell novels that my mother plied me with and tried to mimic one. It was a story about a haunted house with a kiss at the end--a juvenile version of what I write now!



5. How do you world build?


In a much less intriguing way that my counterparts who create paranormals! For me there has to be an angle or a dynamic that I want to explore between two people in a typically erotic way, but erotic is very psychological. I like to build the psychological world between my couple, that is where desire begins, that is where the power is.


6. How do you write: the process and atmosphere?


I am actually writing now on a laptop and there was drilling outside--I was really annoyed when I read this article this in the Daily News: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/05/20/2010-05-20_untitled__typewriter20m.html. If I have an idea I can be almost anywhere, I wrote almost a fourth of my (winning) NaNo 50000 words on my iPod touch on the train going to or coming from work. I was inspired by girls in Japan who wrote whole novels on their cell phones a few years ago: http://www.wired.com/culture/lifestyle/news/2007/01/72329


7. How do you build characters and their personalities and looks?


I do not outline and I also and not obsessed with what people look like. I start from where my intrigue with the characters began--it is my Big Bang--everything just comes from there.


8. Tell me about some of your heroes and heroines:


I read an article in the Village Voice a long time ago that said love makes fools of us all. I like to write about people who are controlled, but love unravels them and becomes everything to them. I read an article in Cosmopolitan years ago about women who have to have that man, anywhere, any time and that is what I love. People who risk it all for love.


9. Are you a pantser or plotter?


Such a pantser!


10. What's your WIP?


Two short stories: an erotic horror that reworks itself every time I have the opportunity to write and a heroine who risks it all for a relationship that cannot end happily, that should not even be started.



11. What's your latest release and tell me about it


LOL. I have not published fiction but am in the process. I blog, I have a series of posts called Bits and Pieces. This is my latest with the sensational author Dee Davis: http://rwanycblogginginthebigapple.blogspot.com/2010/05/bits-pieces-dee-davis.html


12. Anything from your personal life you'd like to tell us?


Yesterday was my birthday!

F. Solomon is a published poet and blogger. She is a member of RWA-NYC serving as the Assistant Editor of their newsletter Keynotes, as well as being the chapter's Social Networking Coordinator and welcomes you to follow or friend them @


www.rwanycblogginginthebigapple.blogspot.com
www.twitter.com/rwanyc
www.facebook.com/rwanyc

No comments: